Friday, April 30, 2010

Remember When...

Check this out for a walk down memory lane

Not that I am that old to necessitate a "Remember When..." post. Nevertheless, there is something to say about the power the TGIF lineup had, not only on TV, but on the institution of the family. Given the recent pitch of American Rabbi Shmuley Boteach to Pope Benedict XVI on how to help diffuse the abuse crisis by calling for more family dinners, particularly on Fridays, I say it is time for a TGIF revival; when TV shows stop focusing on sexy vampires and get back to the good, wholesome family oriented shows.

I haven't done the research, but I think studies could show a direct correlation to our society going down the toilet when emphasis on family time did. Parents need step it up. (It might not mean much coming from a guy who isn't one, but I observe what is going on.) They need to stop copping out by pushing their kids off to sports, programs, and extracurriculars. Those coaches and leaders are parenting the kids more than their actual parents!

Call me old fashion but there was something to those 'Leave it to Beaver' and 'Family Matters' shows. So let's focus again on the family, stay home on Friday with those who love you the most, share a meal, a conversation and a laugh when Jaleel White exclaims 'Did I do that?'

No comments:

Post a Comment