Sunday, July 24, 2011

Passing On

It is the end of a generation. My truck, which taught me the joy and practicality of the manual transmission in a time when I was most formidable and vulnerable (my high school & college years) has now passed on. Stanley, the '95 GMC Sonoma which was too reliable to be given a woman's name (no offense to women), reached 161000+ miles when his exhaust system became too rusted out to be worth repair. Several people thought I was silly to lament over the loss of "just a car" but a mans first truck is more than "just a car". I cannot explain how special it is - the memories of tailgating, moving down to college, attempting to race my 4 cylinder engine, and of course, sitting in the Wendy's parking lot sharing a frosty with a friend. A man does not forget his first truck and surely will not forget you Stan. Thanks for the memories.


That being said, WE GOT A NEW CAR! A sturdy, reliable, low mileage, four-door, 2009 Honda Civic. Hopefully we will get a long life from this car and it will provide us with many more great memories! Here's to our new car - we're open to names if you have suggestions.

1 comment: