Monday, April 25, 2011

A Grueling 5k

On Saturday April 16, 2011 my sister-in-law (Erin) and I ran our first ever 5k. My wife joined us as well as part of a sibling bonding event you could say. This being my first 5k I didn't know what to expect. Erin called Megan and I about three weeks before and asked if we wanted to do it with her. I saw this as an opportunity to accomplish something I had not yet achieved...even though I hate running. (I guess I don't see the thrill in it. Even after doing it for 2+ weeks, I still don't get it.) So I started "training"; aka I ran a mile and felt like I was going to die. But I kept at it knowing I'd have to run 3.2 of them. After training for two weeks I was able to run 2 miles in about 21 minutes and didn't feel like I might pass out where I stood. Thankfully enough the race came and I'm proud to say we ran it in 35:30. Not the best time but an accomplishment nonetheless. Still what made the race the toughest (as you can see from the pictures) was that it was the "Race to Wrigley". Yup, soak it up Cubs fans because this will probably be the only time you see me in cubbie blue - although I do look pretty good. Regardless of where the race was, we had a blast, ate some phenominals bananas, and had some good family bonding time.


No comments:

Post a Comment